GlueX TOF Meeting, April 8, 2021
Revision as of 18:56, 8 April 2021 by Marki (minutes)
GlueX Time-of-Flight Meeting
Thursday, April 8, 2021
3:00 pm EDT
BlueJeans: 350 531 998
- PMT Repair
- Review of minutes from the last meeting
- TOF II Trigger
- TOF NIM paper
- Action Item Recap
Present: Eugene Chudakov, Paul Eugenio, Mark Ito (chair), Simon Taylor, Tim Whitlatch, Beni Zihlmann
We discussed PMT repair.
- Beni has identified two PMTs that he would like to replace. During the last run he tried increasing their HV, but that did not really fix their performance. One of them is in the vertical plane, one in the horizontal. The one in the vertical plane is at the bottom of the array.
- Paul told us the main difficulty in replacing a PMT in situ is simply getting access to it. He does have training on the scissor lift.
- Paul has already purchase a new batch of the Momentum RTV 615 used to attach PMTs to light guides. There is some in the Hall, but he wants to use the new stuff.
- We discussed Paul traveling to the Lab to do the work. He is willing to drive (avoiding a commercial flight), he is fully vaccinated, and he is willing to undergo any testing regime deemed necessary. Under current Lab rules, he needs to get approval for the trip as well as to quarantine for 14 days after he arrives. This second point is the deal breaker. Eugene will look into the possibility nonetheless. Paul will send him a message describing the situation, for reference.
- Paul would like to spend a week at JLab, not only to do the repairs, but also to look at a possibly damaged light guide. His schedule is flexible (he is not teaching this semester).
- If Paul cannot travel then the job can be done with local staff, of course. Perhaps with video-based guidance from Tallahassee.
- Tim reported that there is presently no schedule constraints on when the work should be done.
- In any case, Tim will get a member of the technical staff to train on the PMT replacement procedure.
- We agreed that it would be best if we could get the work done before the end of May. We would not want to delay until July.
- Conditions and policies may or may not change over the next weeks/months. We decided to continue to explore options on when/how to do the work.