Jan 20, 2010 Calorimetry

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 18:00, 20 January 2011 by Zisis (Talk | contribs) (Minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Teleconference Time: 10:30 a.m. EST

  • ESNET (Number is 8542553) and EVO session (GlueX Calorimetry meeting room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6337
  • Regina Phone: in LB228 is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947
  • Phone only if requested:
    • +1-800-377-8846 : US
    • +1-888-276-7715 : Canada
    • +1-302-709-8424 : International
    • then enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#"). Phone line by request only.

Items for followup from previous meeting(s)

  1. Monitoring
    • Specifications for BCAL Monitoring R&D (Zisis, Elton, Christina)
    • IU: checking cross talk of calibration inputs across modules.
  2. Fcal construction
    • Matt to provide optimum schedule for shipping completed blocks to JLab based on technician work plan.
    • Zisis/George to send Elton shipping specifications as example for specifying Pb shipments
    • Mechanical: Tim has promised review of support structure.

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Calibration
  4. FCAL
    1. Construction Status
  5. BCAL
    1. Construction Status
  6. Simulations
    1. Readout segmentation (summing, towers vs quadrants/blocks)
    2. Reconstruction
  7. Other Updates


Attending: Beni, Elton, Fernando, Yi, John (JLab); George, Pavlos, Christina (Athens); Will (USM); Zisis, George, Andrei (UofR).

  1. Announcements
    • JLab has a new phone conferencing system available (the old is still active but will be retired). The new system has new capabilities beyond simply phone services, but we don't have any experience with it yet. Will said that Hall B had used it last week and quality was poor for that session. New instructions on use will be made available.
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Calibration
    1. New idea from Matt on threading a fiber through six radial light guides at once will be considered. However, there are questions about how one might implement it.
    2. Elton, Zisis and Christina will meet before next week to review and define options.
    3. Elton mentioned the schedule for the Bcal calibration is May 2011 - Apr 2012. Therefore, the system needs to be defined so that can be implemented on that time table (including placing university contracts if that is needed)
    4. Christina: Baby cal from Regina arrived in Athens, but is still in customs. It will take some time to release it and there will be significant charges (600 euros).
  4. FCAL
    1. Progress is steady (Matt is traveling this week)
  5. BCAL
    1. Construction Status
      • Modules 29 and 30 are being stacked
      • Shipment 6 (mods 21-24) arrived at JLab last Thu
      • Travellers for each module are being made available online this week.
      • Minor non-conformities on base plates have been recorded
      • Ross machine has a large job now. Expect to start machining mods 25-30 mid Feb. Completion and shipment by beginning of March.
      • All swaged lead has been used. Personnel from stacking is reallocated to swaging as needed. This slows the pace from 14 layers/day to 10 layers/day which is the nominal goal.
      • Fiber measurements on shipment 18 ongoing.
  6. Readout
    1. Graduate student at Regina is getting prepped to do necessary measurements. Still waiting for paperwork to ship laser head for repair
    2. Jlab will test all 80 SiPM first article pieces. As soon as some are tested, they will be shipped about a dozen to Regina and/or USM for cross checks and additional testing.
    3. Will/Zisis: We should plan to reserve about 10 SiPM units from the first article as references for future comparisons throughout the project.
    4. Yi has started collecting information about the first article testing on a wiki page. Zisis will restructure top link to have placeholders for USM/Regina/JLab
    5. It has not been decided where all the testing of production units will be done. Will: USM is planning to be able to test 32 units at a time to match the Hamamatsu production rate.
    6. Will: It is wise for the project to preserve the option to test units at more than one site for redundancy and unexpected developments.
  7. Light guides
    1. USM has received new tooling for machining light guides, in particular a special bit for machining final finishes.
  8. Simulations
    1. Regina is working on getting reconstruction setup. Working with Jake, some initial hiccups have been sorted out.
    2. Irina and Andrei have been working on this project and report at a future meeting.
  9. Other Updates
    1. Fernando: Need to complete a specification for the readout. Jlab will kick start this process at their local meeting.