GlueX Offline Meeting, December 15, 2009

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


The meeting will be at 2:00 pm in CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing

A) ESNet: 8542553
B) EVO: direct meeting link


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2009-12 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Review minutes from last meeting: all
  2. Announcements
    1. New Subversion server: Mark
    2. Hall D Mac-mini: Dave
  3. HDDS directory re-organization: Mark
  4. New tracking/photon class organization: Simon, Dave
  5. Action item review: all


JLab: Craig Bookwalter, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann

Review minutes from last meeting

We reviewed the minutes from last time. Elliott suggested that the coding conventions decision be announced on the offline email list.


  1. The subversion server replacement is underway. Changes should be transparent to users.
  2. David has ordered a new Mac Mini. It should arrive in a few weeks. It will be used to test builds of our software on Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). The total cost (including $300 for a three-year JLab-IT-Division-mandated care plan) was about $1000.

HDDS directory re-organization

Mark described some of the details of the HDDS directory location change that we decided on at the October 21 Offline Meeting. He has posted a wiki page that describes how to convert to the new system.

New tracking/photon class organization

Simon presented recent work that he and David have done to reorganize our high-level "particle" classes based on discussions we had at the previous Offline Meeting. See his slides for details. He presented:

  • Outline of the overall scheme
  • Reconstruction flow diagram for charged tracks
  • Reconstruction flow diagram for both charged and neutral particles
  • Changes to Event Viewer

Accessing the start counter geometry in reconstruction

Craig asked the group for guidance on this issue. He is trying to determine a start time for the event based on hits in the start counter and needs to correlate hits with charged tracks and find the point where the track crosses the counter. He has been trying to use the utility for accessing the hdds xml information. It turns out that the start counter geometry, as implemented in HDDS, a bit on the complicated side. We agreed that Craig, for now, should devise an approximate geometry in order to proceed with his work, e. g., a simple barrel counter joined to a simple forward section. This topic will have to be revisited.

Quick-start software builds

Mark presented a wiki page that describes a simplified method for building the Hall D software, including the recent introduction of a separate HDDS directory. The method boils down to:

  • four environment variable definitions
  • five command-line commands (or one shell script invocation)

to build the JANA, HDDS and GlueX-simulation-and-reconstruction source tree.

Action item review

We did go over the list. There were no significant comments. Some things should be marked as done.

Items for future meetings

We identified the following topics during the course of this meeting:

  • dependency generation in the make scheme
  • environment variable checking in the makefiles
  • track/detector matching

New Action Items

  1. Announce coding convention decision on the Offline mailing list.

recorded by Mark Ito