GlueX Offline Meeting, March 8, 2017

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, March 8, 2017
11:00 am EST
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/327


  1. Announcements
    1. HDGeant4 repository has moved (Mark, Richard)
    2. DocDB-JLab is born!
    3. New Scicomp Web Portal
    4. Software Carpentry Workshop, May 17 -19, 2017
    5. sim-recon-2.12.0
    6. hdpm 0.5.0
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting (all)
  3. Tagged HDGeant4 build at JLab (Mark)
  4. Mixing real random triggers with simulated events [Sean/Thomas/Richard]
  5. Review of recent pull requests (all)
    • Matching + Tracking Efficiencies + Pseudo-random DBeamPhotons
  6. Review of recent discussion on the Gluex Software Help List.
  7. Action Item Review

Communication Information

Remote Connection


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2017 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .



  • CMU: Naomi Jarvis, Curtis Meyer
  • JLab: Alex Austregesilo, Thomas Britton, Brad Cannon, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Richard Jones, Mahmoud Kamel, David Lawrence, Paul Mattione, Nathan Sparks, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann
  • MIT: Cristiano Fanelli
  • Yerevan: Hrach Marukyan

There is a recording of this meeting on the BlueJeans site.


  1. HDGeant4 repository has moved. The authoritative version of the repository is now part of the JeffersonLab organization on GitHub. The move was made two weeks ago. There is now a tagged release of HDGeant4, version 1.1.0. It has been built on all four platforms at JLab (CentOS/RHEL × 6/7). Mark will send out an announcement soon.
  2. DocDB-JLab is born!. The DocDB is now hosted at JLab. Thanks to Zisis, David and the Computer Center. Mark changed all links on the wiki and the private wiki to point to documents in their new location.
  3. New Scicomp Web Portal. The new version of the SciComp webpages has been released. Brad pointed out that there is a new page that will track SWIF workflows. Sean also reported that Chris Larrieu has started work on a list of feature improvements he suggested some time ago.
  4. Software Carpentry Workshop, May 17 -19, 2017. Mark called our attention to this recent announcement. Grad students and post-docs may be interested.
  5. sim-recon-2.12.0. The last release came out January 23. It was time.
  6. hdpm 0.5.0. Nathan is just about to release this version. He has incorporated suggestions from several people since the last release. There is a new feature where sim-recon can be built incrementally; a total rebuild from scratch is no longer necessary.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

We reviewed the minutes from February 22.

OSG Update

The submit node is being installed as we meet.

Richard gave us an update on the OSG All-Hands meeting going on at UCSD.

  • He gave a 15 minute presentation on GlueX status and plans vis-a-vis the OSG.
  • There are a lot of non-accelerator based particle physics experiments looking to the OSG for computing cycles. Currently queues are long.
  • One trend is using Docker containers to export compiled code to the OSG for running. This eliminates a lot of the problems getting locally developed code running in an environment where the user has no control of the natively installed software base. The idea is to bring your software base with you in the container. On a national scale, there are computing projects with plans for with huge computational capabilities and this technology may allow us to take advantage of crumbs of computing that may come our way, despite possibly novel machine architectures. Nathan has been using Docker to build his HDPM distributions for the various OS's that he supports.
  • If the GlueX VO is able to contribute computing cycles to the OSG, our quality of service would improve proportionally. Doing this has been on various lists for some time, but so far only UConn and NU have offered nodes. Rob Gardner of the OSG is willing to work with us to connect university clusters to the Grid. Mark will organize a meeting with interested parties to discuss plans.


Thomas has a customer: Justin and a student of his. The next step is to use HDGeant4 under the hood.

Mixing real random triggers with simulated events

Thomas reported on progress:

  • Thomas has written an EVIO-to-HDDM converter. The idea is to take random triggers, render them in HDDM and pass them to mcsmear along with simulated physics events.
  • Richard has agreed to take on combining the hits from these two sources in mcsmear.
  • Sean will manage production of HDDM files containing the random triggers from raw data.
  • Beni asked if a similar process could be used to combine real PS triggers with real physics triggers to simulate running at a user-selected background rates. Folks thought that this could be done.

Review of recent pull requests

We looked at the list.

  • Richard described recent work on EM background in hdgeant. See his email for a detailed description. This fixes a bug where spurious background photons were being generated, slowing down execution. The change also introduced the BGTAGONLY card so that tagger accidentals can be generated in addition to the "photon" which creates the event.
  • David put in a change to pull out the locked/not-locked status of F1TDCs in a more explicit form.
  • David has several pull requests aimed at implementing "time fiducials" so that events from beam-off periods can be eliminated from the analysis and beam-on time can be calculated accurately. Time maps of the runs are stored in the CCDB and are now being generated automatically. See his log entry for details.
    • He is also working on a capability on creating the map from the time-density of triggers in the data itself.
    • To facilitate these operations, he is creating a skim of 1%-ish of the data. These will be written to tape along with the raw data.
    • Now there is a facility to write out the locations of blocks in the raw data. These can be used by EventStore to jump to particular locations in the file without having to go through the file event-by-event.
  • Paul re-factored and reorganized detector matching routines.
  • Naomi mentioned a problem with one where CCDB is being interrogated with the wrong run number even though the correct run number is known to hd_root. She will post a description to the software help list.

Review of recent discussion on the Gluex Software Help List

We perused some of the recent threads on the List.