GlueX Software Meeting, March 2, 2022

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Software Meeting
Wednesday, March 2, 2022
1:30 pm EST

Zoom Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Passcode: 634605 Join

Mark Ito is inviting you to a scheduled ZoomGov meeting.

Topic: GlueX Software Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join ZoomGov Meeting

Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Passcode: 634605 One tap mobile +16692545252,,1618692159# US (San Jose) +16468287666,,1618692159# US (New York)

Dial by your location

       +1 669 254 5252 US (San Jose)
       +1 646 828 7666 US (New York)
       +1 669 216 1590 US (San Jose)
       +1 551 285 1373 US
       833 568 8864 US Toll-free

Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Find your local number:

Join by SIP

Join by H.323 (US West) (US East) Meeting ID: 161 869 2159 Passcode: 634605


  1. Announcements
  2. OSG/Offsite Computing Update (Bryan Hess)
  3. Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting (all)
  4. FAQ of the Fortnight: What do I have to know when transitioning from SWIF to SWIF2? (see also [1])
  5. Software Coordination: list of responsibilities
  6. Review of recent issues and pull requests:
    1. halld_recon
    2. halld_sim
    3. CCDB
    4. RCDB
    5. MCwrapper
    6. gluex_root_analysis
  7. Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
  8. Action Item Review (all)


Present: Alex Austregesilo, Nathan Brei, Sean Dobbs, Bryan Hess, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle, Richard Jones, David Lawrence, Curtis Meyer, Keigo Mizutani, Wesley Moore, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann

There is a recording of this meeting on the ZoomGov site. (Passcode: htzd69.p)


Mark mentioned that there are a series of pull requests from Simon responding to a request from Richard to modify Simon's recent changes to the hddm_s schema, to support the CPP muon chambers, backward compatible with existing hddm data. The pull requests are for halld_recon, halld_sim, and hdgeant4. Once they work their way through the system, we will need a new version set.

OSG/Offsite Computing Update

Bryan brought us up-to-date with work over the last few years to stand up the infrastructure, both hardware and software, that allows us to use the OSG and other off-site computing resources. Please see his slides for the details. From the discussion:

  • With the new token-based authentication used in version 3.6, there is an issue with having multiple instances of the submit host on the same physical node. We need this to support the GlueX, JLab, and EIC VOs. A solutions is being developed.
  • Bryan described the difficulty in exposing our large Lustre partitions to access from offsite via XRootD.
  • He described the plan to use existing file servers to carve out space to serve out GlueX data on StashCache.
  • Wes gave some details on a problem accessing StashCache data via CVMFS from the farm. Work on this is on-going.
  • Sean mentioned the need for GlueX to communicate our ideas on OSG-related workflows to SciComp and for SciComp to keep us up-to-date with current work and new directions in this area. Along these lines, Wes expressed a desire for a channel where they can get feedback on solutions that SciComp is pursuing. We agreed that we should have regular meetings with interested parties to discuss these topics, much as they were discussed at today's meeting. Bryan will mention the concept at tomorrow's SciComp meeting (where the other Halls are represented), Sean will put together a list of the workflow ideas we are contemplating and Mark will arrange a kick-off meeting at the end of March.

Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting

We looked at the minutes from February 16th meeting. We need to get going on a new system for producing containers. Related to that Mark is working on adjustments to our builds so that there is no difference between builds on the JLab CentOS 7 farm nodes and those produced with a CentOS 7 container. Then these two builds can be consolidated into one and this single build can be shipped to Oasis for use off-site.

FAQ of the Fortnight: What do I have to know when transitioning from SWIF to SWIF2?

We looked again at Alex's wiki page giving advice on the topic.

Alex also mentioned that Chris Larrieu liked the related discussion on the Software Help list, but Chris lamented the fact that folks in the other Halls will not benefit from this and similar exchanges. Mark mentioned that we had proposed upgrading from Mailman some time ago, but that effort never got off the ground.

Software Coordination

We went over the list of responsibilities that will have to be taken over by others when the current Software Coordinator retires.

Action Items

  1. Make a new version set when Simon's changes for CPP get merged. (Mark)
  2. Increase Shibboleth time-out beyond its current 12 hour setting. (Bryan)
  3. Call a meeting to discuss OSG issues for the JLab community. (Mark)