June 15, 2016 Calibration

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Calibration Meeting
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
11:00 am, EST
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326

Communication Information

Remote Connection

You can connect using BlueJeans using the meeting number 630 804 895 .       (Click "Expand" to the right for more details -->):

  1. Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:

  2. Meeting ID: 630804895
    • (you may need to type this in, depending how you connect)

  3. If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):

  4. If connecting via iOS or Android App:
    • Use your JLab e-mail address to log in and then enter the meeting ID given above to join the meeting

  5. If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"

  6. If connecting via Polycom unit:
    • Dial or bjn.vc
    • Enter meeting ID above
    • Use *4 to unmute


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2016 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2016/ .

Calibration Tasks

  1. Spring 2016 Recon Checklist
  2. Mcsmear updates - mcsmear 20160323
  3. Data Validation
  4. GlueX Detector Performance Document

Calibrations for Second Production Run

  • Fix handling of individually-read-out TAGM columns (Alex B.)
  • Updates to FCAL non-linearity (Adesh)
  • BCAL TDC calibrations (Andrei)
  • Realign detectors (~0.1ns shift) (Sean)
  • TOF ADC energy and timing calibrations (Beni)
  • FDC wire timing & reconstruction (Lubomir/Simon/Alex A.)
  • Add timing information to FCAL clustering (Adesh/Matt S.)


  1. Announcements
  2. Calibration Updates
  3. Simulations
    • sim1.1 for data/simulation matching studies
      • Finishing preparations: update plugin list, wait for Adesh's FCAL updates
  4. AOB


Attending: Sean (NU); Mike S., Will M., Naomi (CMU); Andrei (Regina); Matt S. (IU); Simon, Lubomir, Adesh, Beni, Alex B., Alex A., Mark I., Justin, Nathan, Eugene, Alex S. (JLab)

  1. Announcements came at the end of the meeting this time
    • Alex. A. reported that the first wave of REST production is finished. Sean will start the post-processing.
    • Mark I. reported that RCDB has been integrated into the standard GlueX software framwork. It is available as an optional item in sim-recon. He will make a formal announcement later today.
    • Matt reported that he's nearly finished copying the first set of REST files to IU, and offered to distribute them to other university collaborators via Globus. Please contact him with your endpoint, and he can push you the files.
  2. Calibration Updates
    • We reviewed the current status of calibrations for the next set of production runs (runs 11556 - 11678). Mike is adding some better CDC calibrations today, and Nathan finished up this morning. Sean and Justin will check these and give their OK.
    • We then discussed the status of calibrations for the 3rd set of production runs (runs 10331 - 10913). These runs have been mostly calibrated, the issues left to do are:
      • Alex B. is double checking the TAGM calibrations for any lingering issues
      • Adesh is checking the non-linear corrections.
      • Nathan and Sean will discuss offline a plan for attacking the TAGH calibrations. These runs have 4 ns beam bunch spacing, so they should go smoothly - the 2 ns bunch spacing was a challenge.
      • Naomi will work on the CDC gains. These are correlated with temperature and pressure in the CDC. These conditions varied over a larger range in these earlier runs, so she will need time to make sure her parameterization works for these runs.
        • Matt pointed out that the difficulty of some of these calibrations is why CLEO did corrections for shower energy and drift chamber gains at analysis time.
      • We agreed on a deadline of next Friday for these calibrations, and to check the progress of these calibrations at the Analysis meeting next Tuesday.
  3. Calibrations for Second Production Run
    • We started discussing what calibration/reconstruction items we'd like to have for the next production run, tentatively scheduled for the end of the summer.
    • Beni plans to add new energy calibrations and fADC timing calibrations to the TOF. He will need to make a new set of calibration trees to do this. Sean can organize another run through the data, but first we will see if we can work Beni's new plugin into the current launch, for the runs that have yet to be processed.
    • Lubomir said that he would like to see the FDC wires worked into the reconstruction. Simon reported that he has a prototype of a new factory that will do this, which needs the dust swept off of.
    • Eugene asked about taking another look at splitting/merging of calorimeter clusters. There has been a lot of work done with the BCAL on this latetly. Matt said that it would be nice to see some plots and/or a concrete estimation of the size of this problem in the FCAL. He mentioned that details of their current investigations will be reported at the Calorimetry meeting tomorrow, but they are seeing generally good data/MC agreement, except in the inner and outer edges of the FCAL. They plan to incorporate timing information into the clustering algorithm to help with pileup in the inner rings.
  4. Simulations
    • Preparations for sim1.1 for data/simulation matching studies are underway. Mark Ito said that at the last offline meeting, it was agreed to generate simulation with 10% the total number of triggers in the data, with a similar run number/event distribution as the real data. The framework for this needs to be developed.
    • Some updates from Adesh on the FCAL non-linear corrections are needed. He and Sean will coordinate this.
    • Justin suggested that 1-2% of the raw hdgeant files be saved for studying mcsmear updates. No smeared files would be saved, to reduce the disk footprint.
    • Alex S. reported that he has several plugins that are accessing RCDB data for trigger simulation studies. Sean suggested that working this information into standard software would be a goal for the next round of simulations.