OWG Meeting 4-Nov-2015

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Location and Time

Room: CC F326-327

Time: 1:30pm-2:30pm


You can connect using BlueJeans Video conferencing (ID: 120390084). (Click "Expand" to the right for details -->):

(if problems, call phone in conference room: 757-269-6460)

  1. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 120390084.
  2. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page https://bluejeans.com/120390084.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 120390084
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Previous Meeting


  1. Announcements
  2. Cyber Security
    • Network Scanning
  3. Gluon work disk?
  4. Run Preparations
  5. DAQ system development
  6. ROL modifications
    • SYNC events
  7. AOT


Attendees: David L. (chair), Simon T., Sergey F., Bryan M., Dave A., Curtis M., Sean D., Vardan G., Beni Z., Mark I.

Cyber Security

  • No news on network scans since cyber security team became under (wo)manned.

Gluon work disk?

  • Following the recent filling of the home disk on gluonfs1, it was observed that this was due mainly to files that might otherwise live on a work disk. These were being placed in people's home directories.
  • It was suggested that we install a dedicated work disk for these types of files. This would be a relatively cheap RAID disk that does not have snapshot backups.
  • We do not want to use the existing RAID disks for DAQ to avoid potential resource contention while running and so we don't have to delete the contents while running
  • Dave will discuss with Eugene

Run Preparations

  • A new Run Period (2015-11) will be set up next week
  • RCDB
    • Dmitry R. will be coming on either Friday or Monday. Among other things, he will finish up deployment of RCDB
    • Sean may have some requests. He was advised to send them directly to Dmitry so that they could be incorporated into his overall work schedule during this visit.
  • Beginning of Run (BOR) record
    • CODA 3.05 now supports a flag indicating a special event that the ER will maintain and write to the beginning of every file it opens
    • It is currently left to us (the users) to form this event and insert it into the data stream
    • Writing another event with this flag will replace it in the ER.
  • fADC125 firmware has new data formats that need to be implemented in sim-recon parsing
    • Dave will contact Mike S. to make sure he hasn't started on this and, if not, will implement it
  • sim-recon has been updated on the CUE to the latest git version
  • cMsg server now started automatically on gluon46 for use with ROOTSpy
    • uses CODA 3.05 cMsg server
    • existing cMsg server on gluondb1 updated to also use CODA 3.05
    • Dave A. noted that newest cMsg server supports multicast so we could run server anywhere and clients could find it

DAQ system development

  • Sergey's contribution to GlueX performance document has been incorporated by Curtis.
  • fADC125 has now been tested up to 32kHz using 5μs. Sergey believes it will be sufficient for any data taking this Fall
  • There was some discussion on using the BUSY signal from the module or preprogrammed holdoffs in the TS. Dave. A. was going to get together with Cody and Sergey offline to help debug the issue further.
  • We are now running the TOF CAEN1290 TDC modules differently than before. The ROL has been modified to set additional registers needed for running in this mode. These settings need to be incorporated into Alex's configuration system.

ROL modifications

  • Alex S. was not at the lab this week but conveyed to David just before he left that the SYNC event building was essentially complete, but he didn't want to install code as a default just before leaving town in case some issue comes up when others start to use it. This will be done once he returns.