October 7, 2009 Software

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


The meeting will be at 2:00 pm in CEBAF Center F326/327


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing

A) ESNet: 8542553
B) EVO: direct meeting link


  1. Review minutes from last meeting
  2. Announcements
    • New group area for Hall D: /group/halld-electronics
      • /group/halld: 35 GB (27 GB used)
      • /group/halld-electronics: 10 GB (6 GB used)
    • JLab batch farm priority
  3. Coding standards: Mark
  4. Software Task Priorities: Mark
  5. 12 GeV Project Schedule, Offline Computing: David, Mark
  6. Action item review
  7. Meeting time/frequency changes?


JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Simon Taylor, Aram Teymurazyan, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann

Review of minutes from last meeting

We went over the minutes from the September 23 meeting. The following topics generated discussion.

Access to Mechanical Drawings: Mark posted the email from Bridget Paul to Chuck Hutton announcing "OCE" accounts for Hall D staff.

How Timing Is Done in GlueX: We need to check with Craig Bookwalter on progress on this project.

FCAL Smearing: We noted that BCAL smearing has not been migrated; it is still in the reconstruction code. David pointed out that the "reproducibility" problem that we are trying to solve with migration exists on a system-by-system basis. In other words "non-reproducible" BCAL simulated data does not affect the "reproducibility" of FCAL data.


New group area for Hall D: /group/halld-electronics

The new area will be managed by Fernando Barbosa and is intended for backed-up storage of electronics design files. Our current group area lineup is now:

  • /group/halld: 35 GB (27 GB used)
  • /group/halld-electronics: 10 GB (6 GB used)

JLab batch farm priority

We have negotiated an agreement with Hall B and the JLab Scientific computing to allow Hall D increased priority on the JLab batch farm for a period of a week immediately upon our request. If you are in need of this enhanced priority, please contact Mark.

Coding Standards

We discussed adopting coding standards for GlueX. We started by briefly reviewing a set of standards from other experiments and discussed how to proceed in writing ours. We formed a consensus around using the CLEO standards that Matt Shepherd provided previously as a base and adding most of what is already written in the GlueX standards, as well as items from other sources as seem appropriate.

Mark mentioned that we will have to grandfather in all of our existing code base, but we would have to think of a way to cajole, coerce, or otherwise punish authors so that they bring their code up to code.

We agreed that we should form a small committee to come up with a draft for discussion.

Offline Task Priorities

We discussed having a priority system for offline tasks and/or sub-tasks. The proposal is that we add an extra column to the existing task list and use priority rating as a guide in assigning manpower. Input from the collaboration on appropriate ratings is solicited.

12 GeV Project Schedule, Offline Computing

David presented the list of activities in the Project for offline computing. Some of these categories are no longer relevant, some are of rather low priority, some can perhaps be delayed to the post-project period, i. e., after operations start. Some have been broken into "steps" recently, others do not have any steps.In total, 1.2 million dollars has been allocated to these activities. David pointed out that there is nothing in the budget for purchasing hardware or software needed to support development.

Eugene Chudakov has suggested that we bring this list closer to the real axis. The hope was that this presentation could start a discussion of what we want to do.

Action Item Review

There has been some progress with items on the list. Some items need their status updated. Those of you who need to do the updating know who you are.

Meeting Time Change?

The Wednesday afternoon is not the best for everyone interested in the offline. We thought we would try to find a better time. David and Beni volunteered to get a scheduler up and running for this purpose.

The bi-weekly frequency (actually 1/frequency) seems to still be appropriate.

New Action Items

  1. Write some coding standards for GlueX
  2. Assign priorities to offline tasks
  3. Re-work 12 GeV Project Offline Computing activities
  4. Put up scheduler for find a new meeting time -> David, Beni