September 21, 2016 Calibration

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Calibration Meeting
Wednesday, Septemeber 21, 2016
11:00 am, EST
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326

Communication Information

Remote Connection

You can connect using BlueJeans using the meeting number 630 804 895 .       (Click "Expand" to the right for more details -->):

  1. Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:

  2. Meeting ID: 630804895
    • (you may need to type this in, depending how you connect)

  3. If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):

  4. If connecting via iOS or Android App:
    • Use your JLab e-mail address to log in and then enter the meeting ID given above to join the meeting

  5. If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"

  6. If connecting via Polycom unit:
    • Dial or
    • Enter meeting ID above
    • Use *4 to unmute


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2016 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .

Calibration Tasks

  1. Spring 2016 Recon Checklist
  2. Mcsmear updates - mcsmear 20160323
  3. Data Validation
  4. GlueX Detector Performance Document

Upcoming Calibrations

  • Updated error matrices
    • BCAL (Mark D.)
    • FCAL (Adesh/Matt)
    • Tracking (Simon)
  • FCAL timing updates (Adesh)
  • Add timing information to FCAL clustering/inner ring calibrations? (Adesh/Matt S.)
  • BCAL TDC calibrations (Andrei)
  • FDC per-channel calibrations (Alex A./Mike S./?)
  • TAGH alignment (Nathan)
  • Tagger energy map (Richard J.?)
  • TOF alignment (Beni/Simon)

New fADC250 Data Format Offline tasks

Deadline: Oct. 5?

  • ✓ EVIO Parsing (David L.) [waiting to test with data]
  • ✓ Calibrated Hit Creation (Sean) [waiting to test with data]
    • ✓ Low-level monitoring plugin (Sean)
  • Update monitoring plugins
    • plugins/monitoring/BCAL_online/ (Mark D.)
    • plugins/monitoring/BCAL_LEDonline/ (Ahmed)
    • plugins/monitoring/DAQ_online/ (David L.?)
    • plugins/monitoring/FCAL_online/ (Adesh)
    • plugins/monitoring/highlevel_online/ (Paul M.)
    • plugins/monitoring/L1_online/ (Alex S.)
    • plugins/monitoring/pedestal_online/ (?)
    • plugins/monitoring/PS_online/ (Nathan)
    • plugins/monitoring/PSC_online/ (Nathan)
    • plugins/monitoring/ST_online_lowlevel/ (Mahmoud)
    • plugins/monitoring/TAGH_online/ (Nathan)
    • plugins/monitoring/TPOL_online/ (Nathan)
  • Update calibration
    • plugins/Calibration/TOF_calib/ (Beni)
    • plugins/Calibration/st_tw_corr_auto/ (Mahmoud)
  • Update other plugins
    • plugins/Analysis/pedestals/ (?)
    • plugins/Analysis/DAQTree/ (David L.?)
    • plugins/Analysis/DAQTreeBCAL/ (David L.?)
    • ✓ plugins/Utilities/evio_writer/ (Sean/David L.) [waiting to test]


  1. Announcements
  2. Collaboration Meeting
  3. Run Planning
  4. Calibration Updates
  5. Simulations
  6. AOB


Attending: Sean (NU); Paul, Beni, Simon, Mark I., Eugene, Adesh, Thomas, Brad, Sergey, Alex A., Nathan (JLab); Curtis, Mike S., WIll M., Naomi (CMU)

  1. Announcements
    • Adesh reported that Alex S. has the BCAL readout working and plans to get the FCAL working today. The overall DAQ is still not working. At the online meeting today, it will be asked if there are any EVIO files laying around that could be used for offline software development.
    • Thomas is the new Hall D postdoc, welcome to the Collaboration!
  2. The Collaboration Meeting agenda was reviewed - any additions should be posted by next week.
  3. Run Planning
    • We reviewed tasks related to the new fADC250 data format
      • David L. sent an email last Thursday describing a GitHub branch which has preliminary parsing and digihit support for the new data format - see if for more details.
      • Sean subsequently wrote some preliminary support for calibrated hits and a monitoring plugin to test the quality of this data. Some raw data is needed for testing. Eugene pointed out the need for checking data quality, since various headers are being suppressed - some of this should be built in or added to Sean's plugin.
      • Mike S. pointed out that the data format should be checked using emulated raw data as well.
      • Plugin owners are responsible for updating their own code - the modifications described in David's email should be minor. We reviewed a list of needed changes.
    • Calibrations to run
      • We reviewed progress on updating calibration scripts to run with ROOT 6. Sean emphasized that the interpreted change from version 5 to version 6 is major, and it's easy for small errors to be introduced. These changes should be complete before the run, after some discussion a deadline of the end of September was set.
      • Timing and CDC gain calibrations will be automatically updated for every run. Most other calibrations have been stable in our limited running experience. New procedures will be added when ready and the status will be reviewed each calibration meeting.
        • There was some discussion of the automation procedures. When adding constants, we do it in units of an entire table, so if a large enough change in any channel is detected, the entire table will be updated. The tolerances to use are still under study. Paul pointed out that we should recalibrate if the resolution gets worse as well.
        • Naomi will add an initial version of her CDC_gain calibration plugin to sim-recon by the end of the week. She is still developing with sim-recon-2.3, since the minimum-ionizing peaks she was using are missing from later versions. This issue is still under study, and she is looking at alternate solutions.
    • Sean will follow up on these topics with several people who were not at the meeting.
  4. Calibration Updates
    • FCAL/BCAL = Nothing new
    • CDC - When Naomi had looked at individual wire gains previously, there was an unusual jagged structure as a function of wire number. When she looks as a function of individual HV boards, the structure, the channels group more closely together, suggesting that part of the gain differences come from differences in the electronics. Since she plans on only adjusting the overall gain factors, the individual channels will need to be monitored.
    • FDC - Lubomir has finalized his study of the required CDC shift using straight tracks - it is 1.5 mm in the ~8 o'clock direction. Simon will update the geometry.
    • TOF - Beni reported that the data and software exist to perform the non-linear channel corrections for the CAEN TDCs. Ed is working with CAEN to be able to update their tables in the firmware. In the worst case, we can run with the current corrections, undo them offline, and then redo a better correction. This will take understanding their table, which we cannot currently read. Turning the corrections completely off gives shifts that are larger than we want.
    • TAGH - Nathan is working on an update to HLDetectorTiming to make the TAGH timing calibrations more stable.
    • TAGM - Sean is doing a scan to figure the right threshold scale setting to use for the automated calibrations. The low-gain fibers have too much noise with standard cuts for calibration purposes.
  5. Simulations
    • Sean reminded people of the Policy on CCDB Variations for Reconstructing Simulated Data, and that when running simulations that correspond to actual data, the "mc" variation and real data numbers should be used. He pointed out that run 20000 works for the upcoming run.
    • Will has performed a pi0 gain and non-linearity calibration for the simulations in the same way as the data. He will add these constants in soon. He will also commit the current status of the updated BCAL timing in simultion to sim-recon. It is not a final version, but a definite improvement.
  6. Eugene asked about the the status of the tracking problems from the last reconstruction launch. Simon reported that the main problems are for tracks at small angles. He is not seeing them in simulation, which suggests a problem in the calibrations or error estimation. He then enumerated several possibilities about where the problems could be. Any help in identifying the potential sources of the problems is appreciated.