Apr 28, 2021 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting Day/Time: every other WEDNESDAY at 11:00 a.m. JLab time

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/907185247.
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  3. Calibrations: 2020 Data Production; RunPeriod-2019-11 Validation; Offline Monitoring Data Validation

Goals for Calorimetry Group

  1. Determine preliminary photon reconstruction efficiencies as a function of E, phi and theta in data and simulation with a point-to-point precision of at least 5%.
  2. Measure systematics of pi0/eta mass calibration as a function of detector position to a precision of at least 5 MeV.
  3. Demonstrate agreement of photon reconstruction efficiency and resolution between data and simulation as a function of E, phi and theta to within 5%.

Action Items

  1. Short term CALWG Items
  2. Long term items
  3. Calorimeter work packages

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Run Preparations
    1. FCAL
    2. BCAL
    3. CCAL
  3. Calibration
  4. Monitoring
    1. BCAL (offline)
    2. FCAL (offline)
  5. Reconstruction
  6. Simulations
    1. CWP #10 ("Neutral ID")-Resumption & Outlook for Summer (Tolga) [2]
  7. Action Items
  8. Any other business


Attending: Elton, Colin, Mark, Tolga, Varun, Andrew, Karthik, Sean, Jon, Sasha, Rebecca, Matt, Zisis

  1. Announcements:
    • Matt asked about potential talks for the May Collaboration Meeting. Sasha suggested a joint PrimEx and FCAL-II talk.
  2. Run Preparations
    1. FCAL: Mark reported that all bases are in the FCAL. He has a bit of communications and database work to complete before turning on the detector, which will stay on all summer.
    2. BCAL: It was decided to power it up in July and run through the checklist. Regina will help. Mark and Elton will be absent part of August and Beni will be the local contact then.
    3. CCAL: Bases have been modified and will be reinstalled. The LMS system has been refurbished; the larger cross section fibers give 16x more light. The system will be activated in June and tested.
  3. Calibration
    • Andrew presented an update on the FCAL Elasticity Calibration and discrepancies observed between data and MC: Both the elasticity and E/p show issues, with a 5% shift to lower values in the data. Using polynomials, the data and MC were made to match better. There is a knee in the distributions at 4 GeV, which is the region above which the calibration exists but has not been validated. Issues at theta<2 deg are seen; it is likely that the data has a bigger beam hole. E9/E25 ratio was also shown. Differences between e+ and e- are seen. Suggestions were to check the measured versus kinfit parameters and look at the pull distributions of the e+/e- tracks and also to compare to ρ decay.
  4. Monitoring
    1. BCAL (offline)
      • Elton showed updates on the BCAL Hadronic Efficiencies in connection to hot channels. Overall, things are ok, as was also the general conclusion from Tolga's BCAL monitoring scans. Some dips in the efficiencies are seen for certain modules. A group of runs seems to have a higher efficiency than the rest of the runs; no obvious cause by reviewing the log book. Hot channels are possibly related to baseline drifts. Mark commented that another cause could have been the turning off of the crate temperature feedback. Some thinking will go into a better way to adjust the baselines more often. Elton tuned the MC to reproduce his findings and updated the CCDB. Tolga will check the BCAL spreadsheets as per Sean's suggestion. Sean will look at RF-CCDB issues; will write some code to check this after each run.
    2. FCAL (offline)
  5. Reconstruction: no report.
  6. Simulations
    • Tolga is looking once again at the "Neutral ID" in connection to CAL Work Package #10 for a number of reactions that yield neutrons in the final state. The neutron worked was discussed following Jon's remarks that his bggen work showed that some channels are better for this work (e.g. ω π). Matt suggested Λ decays and Jon added charged ρ. It was agreed that all interested participants (over the years) should coordinate and prioritize this work. (Regina is doing ML on photons versus neutrons.)
  7. Action Items: the short-, long-term and work packages were reviewed, and Zisis made updates after the meeting.
  8. Any other business: none.