GlueX Offline Meeting, June 29, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Meeting
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-06 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Announcements
    1. Action Item archive; Sascha
    2. JANA 0.6.2; David
    3. Calibration and Conditions Database specification: David
    4. Grid Client Tools Meeting; Mark
    5. BCAL Software Update; Dan Bennett
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. MantisBT; Elliott
  4. Action Item Review: all
    1. Resolved items
    2. Outstanding items



  • IU: Dan Bennett, Ryan Mitchell;, Matt Shepherd
  • JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Lubomir Pentchev, Yi Qiang, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann


  1. Action Item archive. Sascha created a wiki page that captures the already completed action items.
  2. JANA 0.6.2. David has release a new version of JANA. See his announcement for details.
  3. Calibration and Conditions Database specification. David has put a first draft on the DocDB. He and Mark will review it and release a draft to the collaboration.
  4. Grid Client Tools Meeting. Mark reported in a meeting held to discuss the installation of OSG grid client tools at JLab. See his notes for details.
  5. BCAL Software Update. Dan showed a slide describing recent work on BCAL hit generation. This involved a structural reworking, moving the code from the reconstruction library to the smearing program.
  6. CHEP abstracts accepted. David announced that all three of the abstracts he submitted to the Computing in High Energy Physics conference have been accepted for oral presentations. He will talk on an overview of GlueX software, ROOTSpy, and GlueX event reconstruction.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

We reviewed the minutes from last time.

  • Software Workshop. David reported that the initial organizational meeting was held. A proposal to the JSA Initiative committee has been written up. The workshop will

be held between the semesters, sometime in December or January.

  • Test of JANA on a 48-core machine. David reported that work continues. There seems to be two modes of behavior with the Kalman filter code, one where scaling is observed and the other where only about 30% of the capacity is utilized.
  • Standard math library, matrices, vectors, etc. Elliott reported that Hall B is putting together a standard math library for Java.


Elliott announced that the issue tracking software is ready to go into production. JLab folks have been using it recently to test its behavior and provide feedback on how to configure the software. Elliott has imported all of the outstanding action items from the wiki page as issues in the new system. He will send out an announcement on how to register and access the system.

Action Item Review

We used Mantis to view recently resolved items and items still outstanding.