Oct 01, 2020 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting Time: 11:00 a.m. JLab time

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/907185247.
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  3. Calibrations: 2020 Data Production; RunPeriod-2019-11 Validation; Offline Monitoring Data Validation

Goals for Calorimetry Group

  1. Determine preliminary photon reconstruction efficiencies as a function of E, phi and theta in data and simulation with a point-to-point precision of at least 5%.
  2. Measure systematics of pi0/eta mass calibration as a function of detector position to a precision of at least 5 MeV.
  3. Demonstrate agreement of photon reconstruction efficiency and resolution between data and simulation as a function of E, phi and theta to within 5%.

Action Items

  1. Short term CALWG Items
  2. Long term items
  3. Calorimeter work packages

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Run Update
    1. FCAL
    2. BCAL
  4. Monitoring
    1. BCAL LED
      1. Varun: Brief update on spring 2020 LED data[2]
    2. BCAL (offline)
      1. Tolga: Brief Monitoring Update V17 [3] I will kindly ask the meeting moderator to load up the slides on screen share as I'll be mobile.
    3. FCAL (offline): FCAL monitoring VI, sheet 'errorsduringanalysis', Fcalbadchannels Chandra's presentation
  5. Calibration
  6. Efficiency
  7. Reconstruction
  8. Simulations
  9. Any other business


Attending: Sean, Karthik, Mark, Tolga, Varun, Jon, Rebecca, Churamani, Matt, Susan, Christina, Colin, Zisis

  1. Announcements
    1. Matt reminded us that there will be no 'traditional' CALWG report at the upcoming Collaboration Meeting.
    2. Zisis reminded everyone that starting October 14, we are moving CALWG meetings to Wednesdays, at the standard time (11 am JLab).
  2. Action Items
    1. Short:
      • Susan started on FCAL channel constants (Item 1).
      • Matt mentioned that he is on contact with a group from Beijing that could become involvedin kinfit modelling of cuts and covariance calculations.
    2. Long:
      • Mark will create a Wiki page to track the FCAL base refurbishment project (Item 1).
    3. Packages: Zisis cleaned up and reorganized the table based on completed jobs.
  3. Run Update
    1. FCAL: nothing to report
    2. BCAL: nothing to report
  4. Monitoring
    1. BCAL LED: Varun gave a brief update on spring 2020 LED data: He continued the vetting of the summer data. Behaviour is mostly nominal. In addition to poor performing SiPM channels 118 and 1486 (known to have issues) additional channels are being monitored: 114, 979, 1023, although their behaviour is not that alraming yet (2%, 4% and 4% off from ratio of 1). LEDs continue to fluctuate (the last is over 200 of them -- see GlueX-doc-4640.
    2. BCAL (offline): Tolga presented a brief Monitoring Update V17: monitoring continues for hot channels, occupancy; run 72415 should be skipped in a future launch (CDC was off during some part of the run and SC was not in time and CCAL work was being done by Sasha then). This will be linked to CALWG pages (the spreadsheet where all this is tracked). For occupancy plot issues we need a fix or mask now or deal with it later; the occupancy issue list should be reviewed. Mark: Elton's hadronic efficiency plots are a more useful tool than the occupancy plots. Elton's work is documented on the e-log and scripts exist to extract the efficiencies.
    3. FCAL (offline): Susan showed us update from v18 monitoring, including the similar issues (structure in upper left quadrant of FCAL, for example). Susan linked the Google sheet to the agenda and we had a look. JANA errors were documented and Sean will contact Richard and experts on this. We discussed whether it would be desireable file-by-file to see if issues appear in the beginning, end or middle of a run, as far as data corruption goes. Sean: boards were swapped out; internal timeout in the 250 modules. Mark will contact experts to investigate these transient problems. Automation (AI) could be handy for such checks, as they are very time consuming. Susan is also using Chandra's tools for 1st run processing.
  5. Calibration: no report
  6. Efficiency: no report
  7. Reconstruction: no report
  8. Simulations: no report
  9. Any other business: none