March 2, 2022 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting Day/Time: every other WEDNESDAY at 11:00 a.m. JLab time

Connection instructions

Use ZoomGov:
Our meeting ID number is 160 855 2106. Click "Expand" for more details.

  • Meeting ID: 160 855 2106 Passcode: 944454
  • One tap mobile
       +16692545252,,1608552106# US (San Jose)
       +16468287666,,1608552106# US (New York)
  • Dial by your location
       +1 669 254 5252 US (San Jose)
       +1 646 828 7666 US (New York)
       +1 551 285 1373 US
       +1 669 216 1590 US (San Jose)
       833 568 8864 US Toll-free (US West) (US East)
       Meeting ID: 160 855 2106
       Passcode: 944454


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  3. CCAL HDCCAL log book
  4. Calibrations: 2020 Data Production; RunPeriod-2019-11 Validation; Offline Monitoring Data Validation
  5. Photon Reconstruction Task Force
  6. BCAL calibration links, 2020, PrimEx, SRC

Goals for Calorimetry Group

  1. Determine preliminary photon reconstruction efficiencies as a function of E, phi and theta in data and simulation with a point-to-point precision of at least 5%.
  2. Measure systematics of pi0/eta mass calibration as a function of detector position to a precision of at least 5 MeV.
  3. Demonstrate agreement of photon reconstruction efficiency and resolution between data and simulation as a function of E, phi and theta to within 5%.

Action Items

  1. Short term CALWG Items
  2. Long term items
  3. Calorimeter work packages
  4. AI - BCAL Monitoring:
    1. Hydra Real-Time Dashboard
    2. Hydra 24-hr Monitoring Logs

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Past Meeting Minutes
  3. Shutdown tasks
    1. Review Action Items
  4. Run Operations
    1. FCAL
    2. BCAL
    3. CCAL
  5. Calibration
  6. Monitoring
    1. BCAL (offline)
    2. FCAL (offline)
    3. CCAL (offline)
  7. Reconstruction
  8. Simulations
  9. Any other business


Attendees: Mark, Tolga, Varun, Karthik, Jon, Elton, Igal, Matt, Malte, Eugene, Zisis

  1. Announcements:
    1. Elton reported that there was a planned power outage in the hall yesterday and the creates were turned off. Mark was going to check that the FCAL crates are back on.
  2. Past Meeting Minutes: Zisis reviewed the past minutes. Two items were discussed further.
    1. FCAL voltage range from 2V to 1V. Igal will prepare for this discussion in 4 weeks at our meeting on March 30. Matt asked for simulations in this context.
    2. Matt gave an update on the timing resolution for the FCAL that Rebecca is looking into. This work started with the NIM paper on the FADC. The timing resolution is around 400 ps but this does not accurately capture the low edge of the plot. A more detailed implementation will require new parameters that will eventually be stored in ccdb. This work is being done at the block level and uses the decay ω → π+π-π0.
  3. Shutdown tasks
    1. CPP: Elton reported that the MWPCs and frames are installed. Best: cabling, DAQ, electronics.
    2. Sean expressed an interest in muons in the BCAL. Zisis will follow up with him. David (and his postdoc), Naomi and Thomas are collecting cosmics data for the CDC, to us AI to automatically adjust the voltages. This data could be useful for BCAL muon studies.
  4. Review Action Items
    1. Short range: Under item 1, 2018-01 and 2018-02 are done. Mark will check to see if 2019-11 is done as well.
    2. Long range:
      1. Item 6: Sergey will run a calibration of the FADCs. Elton brought up the discussion of using the fan speed to reduce the hot channels. This approach has some pushback from electronics folks, in terms of the longevity of the fans. Elton volunteered to collect stats on the correlation between fan speed and hot channels from Halls B and D.
      2. Item 5: Tegan has completed his assigned tasks and is waiting for input from Daniel.
      3. Item 4: Karthik mentioned that this is still an open item in GitHub but that the spike is easy to remove with a cut. It appears only in simulations and is possibly related to the background simulation. This is not a priority item; in the future we could contact Richard for ideas.
    3. Work packages:
      1. Item 2: there is a DocDB note on this (see last column). The remaining issue is that the π0 mass varies with energy of the photons as a smile instead as of a frown.
      2. Item 6: work on this will resume in 1-2 months from now.
      3. Item 11: added after the meeting (was missing).
  5. Run Operations
    1. FCAL: see above.
    2. BCAL: Mark and Varun took SiPM radiation monitoring data with LEDs. All data from after the SRC run is at hand. Varun is working on the analysis and will show plots at our next meeting.
    3. CCAL: no report.
  6. Calibration:
    1. Igal will work on the π0 calibration for the FCAL using his (new) procedure. He has worked with Thomas in getting this be available through MCWRAPPER. Mark and Igal are discussing the possibility of equalizing the gains in a better manner, by swapping PMTs.
    2. Stjepan will show the BCAL π0 gains from the SRC experiment at our next meeting.
  7. Monitoring: no activity.
    1. BCAL (offline): no report.
    2. FCAL (offline)
    3. CCAL (offline): no report.
  8. Reconstruction
    1. Churamani's update for today is that he is investigating resolution of η' with or without missing photon in data and mc to see if this has significant effect on yield and hence on bcal efficiency.
  9. Simulations: no report.
  10. Any other business: none.