Shift Guidelines for Shift Leader
- Make sure the collimator is in blocking position.
Run info logging
- Keep a list of the runs at the end of the shift summary log entry, eg https://logbooks.jlab.org/entry/3795057
- Make sure that the DAQ "RUN" field is set to PHYSICS_DIRC for production runs, and EXPERT for test runs.
- Keep the runs to 2h real-time at most. Calibrations drifts are noticeable after about 2h.
- Write run info into the DAQ run comments box at the start of the run and save it.
- Make sure that the paper list of runs is kept up to date.
- Half-way through each run, post the rootspy monitoring histograms to the logbook and reset them. Post the new plots at the end of the run.
- Make a screenshot of the GlueX overview CSS logentry mid-shift.
- Remind the shift worker to complete the shift checklist.
- Watch the beam monitoring stripcharts, currently using beam_instability_monitoring configuration, & post to the logbook at the end of the shift
- New, maybe temporary: if PS coincidence rates drop by 30% or more, do harp scans (MCC & ours)
Time to call expert
- Expert or RC should be called after 10-15 min of attempting to solve a problem.
- Request accelerator insert the dumplette before any radiator changes.
- Each time the amorphous radiator is inserted, make a new AMO reference with beam on. See "Setting Amorphous Reference."
- Each time the diamond radiator is inserted or its orientation changed, use the nudge buttons to obtain the desired coherent edge fit value, save the new configurations as instructed in " Adjusting the peak positions" and make a screenshot logentry of the cobrems gui.
- When acknowledging alarms for the solenoid, mechanical and DIRC, acknowledge them at the lowest level of the tree. This is to avoid sending 'OK' messages to the on-call phones for all the branches of the tree which were not alarming.
- Make separate logbook entries for worrying alarms & contact experts as needed.
Beam Time Accounting
The following link gives extensive general information on filling out the Beam Time Accounting (BTA) Beam-Time Accounting (BTA) Guidelines
6 hour shifts
The BTA form does not accommodate 6 hour shifts. Therefore we have to share accounts. When you arrive for shift the BTA system should already be logged in with the current shift-worker's credentials. Please verify that the numbers have been filled in and saved. At 8am, 4pm and midnight the BTA will need to be signed. After signing the BTA, log out of the system and log in again with your own credentials. This procedure ensures that only 2 people are involved in any BTA form at a time, which should simplify things.
- We keep a list of requests for opportunistic access on the whiteboard. We also have to keep a list of who is actually in the hall during accesses.