June 21, 2023 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting Day/Time: every 4th WEDNESDAY at 11:00 a.m. JLab time (monthly frequency during the long shutdown)

Connection instructions

Connect to ZoomGov Meetings


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. ECAL HDECAL log book
  3. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  4. CCAL HDCCAL log book
  5. Calibrations: 2020 Data Production; RunPeriod-2019-11 Validation; Offline Monitoring Data Validation
  6. Photon Reconstruction Task Force
  7. BCAL calibration links, 2020, PrimEx, SRC

Goals for Calorimetry Group

  1. Determine preliminary photon reconstruction efficiencies as a function of E, phi and theta in data and simulation with a point-to-point precision of at least 5%.
  2. Measure systematics of pi0/eta mass calibration as a function of detector position to a precision of at least 5 MeV.
  3. Demonstrate agreement of photon resolution between data and simulation as a function of E, phi and theta to within 5%.
  4. Demonstrate agreement of photon reconstruction efficiency between data and simulation as a function of E, phi and theta to within 5%.

Action Items

  1. Short term CALWG Items
  2. Long term items
  3. Calorimeter work packages
  4. AI - BCAL Monitoring:
    1. Hydra Real-Time Dashboard
    2. Hydra 24-hr Monitoring Logs

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Past Meeting Minutes
  3. Review Action Items
  4. Detectors
    1. FCAL/ECAL
    2. BCAL
  5. Calibration
  6. Monitoring
  7. Reconstruction
  8. Simulations
  9. Any other business


Attendees: Mark, Sean, Tolga, Karthik, Jon, Zisis

  1. Announcements: Mark reported that the safety shutdown at the lab fortunately does not seem to impact work in the hall significantly.
  2. Past Meeting Minutes: Karthik reviewed the coordination on the CPP-BCAL calibration between Regina and Igal. Igal has worked on automating the process through scripts. Layer 3 calibration has complications. Sean is creating new skims that include the trigger bits, and cuts may clean up the S/N in Layer 3.
  3. Review Action Items:
    1. Short:
      • Item 1 (FCAL channels): Mark mentioned that PrimEx will take over their run range and the SRC range is done. The GlueX philosophy is that the efficiencies are handled by the MC in a random manner, deadening each channel on occasion, based on their efficiency. PrimEX uses a threshold and then masks in MC and data.
      • Item 2: Matt and Kevin are working on this. Sean expects to hear from Kevin soon now that he is done with HUGS.
      • Tolga watched the Hydra online monitoring during the run. The interface was buggy occasionally and he did not see any new types of bad spectra, in training Hydra. Sean mentioned that no new data sets are ready yet for offline monitoring. As Marianna left the collaboration, a new volunteer will be sought for the offline work.
    2. Long:
      • Item 4: Any work on neutrons will be driven by some physics analysis; this was removed from the list. Sean and Zisis will discuss muons in the BCAL for J/psi->mu+mu- analysis: MIP peak in data and MC have and offset between them that needs to be understood, whether a new calibration is needed of a whether a correction factor should be implemented.
      • Item 5 (now renumbered to Item 4): BCAL hot channels; Mark will think about this. Regina summer students at JLab could be called to help.
    3. Packages: Karthik, Jon and Zisis will discuss Item 6. Karthik reported that it is mature and can be brought to a conclusion soon, while he is waiting for his committee to read his thesis.
  4. Detectors
    1. FCAL/ECAL: Mark reported that the technicians are working on the FCAL frame. The lead glass blocks need to be refurbished (200-300 need swapping). Summer students could help with this work in the hall.
    2. BCAL: Jon reported on the work being done to balance the SiPM gains for the Baby BCAL (60-cm long prototype) that was used for EIC reasons (extend constant term in energy resolution up to 6 GeV), from a beam test behind the Pair Spectrometer in March. Maggie (summer student from Mt. Allison University) is working on this.
  5. Calibration: BCAL calibration for CPP as far as the position calibration goes is tricky because it relies on the CDC and 1/4 of it was turned off during CPP. Plus the target is in a different location. Sean, Simon and Mark are discussing this.
  6. Monitoring: nothing more
  7. Reconstruction: no report
  8. Simulations: no report
  9. Any other business: the next CALWG meeting is tentatively scheduled for July 19, 11am ET. A reminder will be sent a few days before.